I am distraught. I missed Rosa Parks’ birthday. 100th, no less. How could I forget? I NEVER forget…..
I haven’t slept since Sunday and I wish I could blame Beyonce or Ray Lewis or the Harbaugh brothers, but I am just going through the shit and when I do, I don’t sleep. I am surprised I am still able to type this.
Many people find Rosa problematic. There were other champions and advocates, there were better role models, she was elevated because she was light-skinned, the list goes on.
But when I was 7 years old, Rosa Parks became my idol. I was a little girl living in the white suburbs and no one, NO ONE, looked like me and I was very sad. I had been living in the city with black people surrounding me and raising me. No more. I felt very alone.
Then, one day, I was reading the encyclopedia in my dad’s room. There she was, under ‘P’. She was defiant. She didn’t look big or scary; she looked like one of my nerdy aunts. And yet she found the courage to do this THING. As Joey B. would say, it was a big fucking deal.
I instantly found a kindred spirit. I was an ugly, nerdy, brown kid with glasses. Look at what she did! Maybe one day I can, too? Maybe I can be brave? Maybe I am not alone?
I ran out and showed my ma the page in the book. She smiled and told me about Rosa and explained lunch counters and segregation. I was horrified and scared.
I vowed that I would not let that happen to me and mine. That I would do my best to carry on what Rosa did.
When I needed a roller derby name, there was not even a question. Even my other teammates were like, Duuuuhhhhhhhh!
I am going to go to the post office, tonight, and buy some Rosa stamps and send her a belated birthday card, thanking her.
i know, that title is kind of an oxymoron. boston is a horrible city. but!
- i have karl, minibox, and sub-rosa ALL TOGETHER
- today i saw a million adorable baby queers at youth pride and oh god it was so good
- ate a cupcake. it wasn’t that awesome but it was awesome to eat it while walking on the street/being unpresentable in public
- saw third eye blind live and i mean, they sound like shit now and they didn’t fucking play “motorcycle driveby” or “blinded” but fucking whatever, 3EB!
- my girlfriend is really cute in her emails (oh right, yeah, so red is my actual girlfriend now, tumblr)
- KARL, MINIBOX, AND SUB-ROSA ALL TOGETHER
All other arguments are invalid.